Lowell Avenue Baptist Church
Senior Pastor Job Description
Principle Function of Senior Pastor
The Senior Pastor is responsible to the church to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, teach the biblical revelation, engage in pastoral care ministries, and provide administrative leadership in all areas of church life. He is also to provide kingdom leadership to the members of this church, enabling them to focus on the Great Commission and equipping them to carry out the five functions of the New Testament church: evangelism, discipleship, ministry, fellowship, and worship.
Senior Pastor Responsibilities:
- Will fit the biblical model of a pastor as found in 1 Timothy 3:1-13, Titus 1:5-9, Acts 20: 28-32, 1 Timothy 5:17, 1 Peter 5: 1-4
- Plan and conduct the worship services: prepare and deliver sermons; lead in observance of ordinances. Preach and teach the Bible, believing that it has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture of error for its matter.
- Communicate the vision for ministry that God gives to this congregation.
- Use his spiritual gifts to edify and build this local body of believers. Provide appropriate pastoral care to church and community members and equip the pastoral team members and the deacon body to do the same.
- Visit members and prospects.
- Conduct counseling sessions; perform wedding ceremonies; conduct funerals.
- Work with deacons, church officers, and committees as they perform their assigned responsibilities; train and lead the deacons in ministry; provide direction and oversight to the administrative ministries of the church and will give leadership to the administrative ministries team of the congregation
- Act as moderator of church business meetings.
- Cooperate with an association, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern; keep the church informed of denominational development; represent the church in civic matters.
- Serve as chief administrator of the paid church staff; supervise the work of the staff
- He is expected to be a servant leader by living an exemplary life modeling the call, character, and competencies to become a minister of Jesus Christ's gospel.
- Demonstrate a servant spirit as a growing disciple of Jesus Christ.